Rapini a.k.a. broccoli rabe is one of those vegetables that is super healthy and green, but one that we have avoided for some time. The reason why we’ve avoided it until now, is because I made this special dinner for Arkadi when we were dating and I made some sauteed rapini as a side dish. A friend of ours had us over a couple of weeks before and I decided to copy her rapini side dish. Mine, however, was not good! It was so bitter we both could not actually eat it! The other day at the grocery store we decided to brave it and give rapini another chance. To our surprise, this time, we loved it! I guess when you combine rapini with some sausage, pasta and cheese, you can’t really go wrong! Also, a glass of wine on the side helps! Here’s the recipe for you:
- olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- red pepper flakes, optional
- 500 grams of Italian sausage
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- 500 grams of penne
- a bunch of rapini
- salt and pepper
- Saute minced garlic in olive oil, add the sausage (casings removed) and break apart with a fork. Then add red pepper flakes, if using. Add whipping cream, season with salt and pepper.
- In the meantime, in a separate pot, boil water, add the pasta and rapini and cook pasta until al dente.
- Toss the penne, rapini and sausage together. Garnish with grated parmesan cheese and serve.
By the way, this makes a real great quick weeknight supper and leftover lunch for the next day!