Irish Cream Whoopie Pies
Recipe type: Dessert
- For the cookies:
- 1 and ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 and ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup Baileys Irish Cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the filling:
- 1 and ½ stick of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 and 3/3 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 and ½ tablespoon Baileys Irish Cream
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, combine butter and both sugars. Using the paddle attachment, mix the butter and sugars on medium/high speed until smooth, approx. 3 minutes. Add the egg and mix until the mixture is light and fluffly, approx. 2 minutes. Then adjust speed to low and gradually mix in half the flour mixture, then the Baileys and vanilla and then finish off with the remaining flour mixture.
- Drop tablespoons of dough onto the baking sheet, leaving 2 inches of space in between each one. Smooth out the tops of the dough by dipping a spoon in a bowl of water and with a little pressure, press down on the dough and smooth out the top. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the cookies spring back when lightly touched. Place the baking sheet on a wire rack for about 5 to 10 minutes to allow the cookies to cool slightly. Then remove the cookies and transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cookies are cooling, start making the filling. Combine the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until the mixture is light and fluffy, approx. 3 to 5 minutes. Add the Baileys and beat until combined. Transfer the buttercream to a prepared pastry bag fitted with a large star tip.
- To assemble, pipe filling onto the flat side of a cookie and then sandwich with a second cookie, repeat with remaining cookies and filling.
- Alternatively, you can just leave the buttercream in the bowl and add a spoonful of the buttercream onto the flat side of a cookie and then sandwich with a second cookie, repeat with the remaining cookies and filling.