My husband grew up eating brussels sprouts but I did not. The first time I have ever had them, I have to admit, I hated them. I hated them but politely ate them anyway. Arkadi on the other hand gobbled them up and proceeded to tell me how they used to eat brussels sprouts all the time when he was back home in Russia. I realized later on the reason why I did not like them was because they were just boiled and dumped on my plate with no seasoning whatsoever! So I thought, why not add some tasty things to make this humble leafy vegetable taste better; and that is how we came up with brussels sprouts with pancetta and lemon zest. The addition of pancetta adds that salty, smoky flavour and the lemon zest livens up the dish. Try out this dish and see how addictive it is!
Here’s the recipe for you:
- ¼ cup of diced pancetta
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 340 grams (12 oz) brussels sprouts, halved
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- lemon zest
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil and saute the pancetta until crisp.
- Then add the minced garlic and saute until golden brown.
- Then add the brussels sprouts. Keep stirring until the leaves are cooked and browned.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add lemon zest and serve.